Saturday, September 28, 2013

Interview with Jonathan Huber of Pathology - 2011


Shortly after Jonathan Huber was recruited as new vocalist of Pathology back in 2011, I conducted the following interview with him:

·

Cerebral Reviewment-  First of all, thanks a lot for doing this. I hope your recovery is going smoothly. For those who don’t know, would you mind saying how you were injured, causing you to miss the current tour?

Jonathan Huber-  No problem. I was severely injured while riding my bmx bike at my homies trails a couple hours from my hometown. I broke my leg in 4 places. 3 full breaks & 1 small fracture. No compound fractures but def was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life. Let alone the worst crash I have ever had in my 16 years of riding bmx.

CR-  Congratulations on your spot in Pathology! I’m sure it has been a very rewarding experience thus far. Anything you can tell us about the band and how you fit in with them?

JH-  Thank you. I am def still siked on being in this band. I enjoy playing & hanging out with my bandmates Kevin, Oscar, Tim, & Dave. It still is very surreal being apart of this band. Seeing how I was a fan on theirs since the time of the release of “Age Of Onset”. I have always wanted to be in a brutal death metal band. Doing guttural vocals & what not. So, it literally is a dream come true to be doing it. Let alone I have to thank my bandmates for allowing me to become a part of this band. I feel that I fit very well with them. We all get along great & love to play music & get rowdy. I came from the hardcore scene which is much different than metal but bring a live element that most metal frontman lack. So, if you are curious I suggest you come out to a Pathology show/tour soon ! ! ! ! !

CR-  As we all know, you missed this last tour and were replaced by the one and only Shawn Whitaker. Can you tell us of any future touring plans? Are you excited to get back on the road?

JH-  I def will be back out on the road once I can walk on my own & perform to my highest ability. I feel that as a frontman/vocalist I need to always be at my best. For the crowd/fans/promoters as well as my bandmates & myself. I love playing in this band. Like I have already stated. I hope to be back before the end of the year. It’s really out of my hands right now. My injury was very serious & will take time to heal properly. I will NOT rush it or hinder my ability to walk or do the things I love. But, rest assured I will be back.


CR-  When on tour, do you do any specific things to help your voice? Do you eat or drink certain things to keep it going night after night?

JH-  Well, first of all I don’t smoke. I believe that your voice is a gift & can be taken away at anytime. If, you don’t take care of it. I drink a lot of teas & sports drinks. I drink room temperature water before playing. Along with vocal warms ups before we play. I do humming exercises & do yelps & grunts to warm up my vocal chords. It seems to help & I take my job very seriously. Although, I do hate the way my voice sounds. So, I’m always looking to become better at what I do.



CR-  Can you tell us about the lyrics on Awaken To The Suffering?  What is your opinion on lyricism in general for this genre of music?

JH-  I think that in this style of music, especially brutal death metal there’s too much of the “GORE” element. I understand & respect the bands that do it well. As well as started this genre of metal. However, I can’t write lyrics like that & not sound cheesy. The lyrics to “Awaken To The Suffering” are straight forward lyrics that discuss my/our/your issues with government, religious, & social issues that plagued our everyday lives. While they have meaning & substance to them doesn’t mean they aren’t pissed or angry by any means. I still wanted them to be very dark & morbid but still have something behind them. It’s something that I read & research a lot about & feel it needs more attention. So, what better way to convey a message than through music.

CR-  The album has countless places where you seem to have inhuman lung capacity as well as guttural range. Have you been practicing different vocal styles for Pathology?

JH-  Like I stated prior I hate my voice/vocals. Always have & always will. But, I have been toying with the “guttural” style of vocals for a couple years now & am always trying to become better. While growing up in the hardcore scene all I knew was push & be loud. So, I take that into trying to make inhuman, putrid, & disgusting vocals. I can only hope people will dig it. I am no Matti Way by any means & replacing him is not easy or something I am proud of doing. I am honored everyday to be following in a brutal death metal legends shoes. I just hope I can be that good one day.

CR-  How was it to work with great vocalists such as A.J. Magana and Obie Flett?  Did they have any instructions to follow or were they free to do as they pleased?

JH-  I had good ideas where I wanted them to do their guest vocal parts on the album. I gave them some verses & let them run with it. I have full confidence in their abilities as vocalist & amazing ones at that.  We were just stoked to have them on the album.

CR-  Is the band pleased with all aspects of how the album turned out?

JH-  I love it. Daniel Castleman is a amazing producer & did a awesome job on it. Let alone is a rad dude too. This was his first time working with a guttural band so it was different for him but he got the idea & killed it.

CR-  Who are some of you influences vocally?

JH-  Def a lot to list.  I could go on for hours.  Anyone that is burly, gnarly, putrid, pissed, inhuman, disgusting, & guttural.  That about sums it up.

CR-  What are your favorite kinds of music to listen to?

JH-  I literally listen to about everything. Lately I’ve been into old country, punk rock, & new wave heavily. It always seems to be changing throughout the year. Just depends on how I am feeling at the time.

CR-  What are some of your all-time favorite foods?

JH-  Anything Seafood.

CR-  Thanks again man! Get well soon!


JH-  No problem. Pick up the new album out now on Victory Records ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

VICTORY RECORDS
PATHOLOGY
PATHOLOGY FACEBOOK


No comments:

Post a Comment