Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Interview with Josh Welshnam of Autonomy - 2011






I was very lucky to have Josh Welshnam, the man behind Rhode Island Brutal Death Metal project, Autonomy, sit down and answer a few questions.

Enjoy:


Cerebral Reviewment-  How old are you?


Josh Welshnam-  I’m 19 years old.


CR-  Why the name Autonomy?


J-  I chose the name Autonomy because it ties in with the idea of a one man band. Autonomy means independence and self-governing, which is how Autonomy is run, completely by me.


CR-  What first got you into this kind of music, have you always been into it?


J-  In my late High School years, I first started getting into slam bands like Devourment and Abominable Putridity.  I have been a huge metal fan basically since elementary school, and since then it has been my life.


CR-  I understand you go to school, how’s that going?

J-  Its going well man, studying Audio Production/Music Industry.  I definitely want a career in music, particularly in the metal industry.


CR-  You have said before that vocals are your passion in Autonomy, has this always been the case?

J-  Definitely. Prior to Autonomy I was the vocalist for an RI based deathcore band called “Death Haven” for about 5 years. Had a lot of good times in that band and it definitely fueled my passion for vocals.


CR-  You are not only an amazing vocalist, but your guitar/songwriting skills really stand out!  How long have you been playing?


J-  Haha I wouldn’t go that far, but I’ve been playing guitar since middle school, so approximately 6-7 years.  I’ve only been writing my own music since Autonomy came into existence.


CR-  Can you tell me about your relationship with Ossuary Industries and how it came about?



J-  I remember talking to BBB about Autonomy and sending him a demo with various tracks spanning from the debut EP “Dimensions of Mephitic Decay” to my more recent material.  He really dug it all and offered me a place in the Ossuary Industries family.  I couldn’t be happier to be a part of the label, and Brian has definitely welcomed me in and has put many great opportunities on the table for me already.


CR-  How is the search for band members going? 

J-  Terrible man haha.  Rhode Island is a baron wasteland as far as Brutal Death Metal goes.  I expect things to pick up soon though once some things fall into place for future plans.


CR-  How much time would you guess that you practice, whether it be vocals, guitar, programming, in a week?


J-  As of now I’m spending almost all of my free time writing for an upcoming split with Embalmer, Forged In Gore, and Extremely Rotten that will be released later in the Fall I believe.  So I’d say approximately anywhere between 6 and 10 hours a week depending on my schedule.


CR-  Can you tell me about what equipment you use?


J-  Since the start I’ve been using a Line 6 GX for all of my guitar tracking and Acoustica Beatcraft for all of my drum programming. Autonomy hasn’t had a live appearance yet, so no real live gear to speak of.


CR-  What are your lyrics usually about? What inspires you when writing them?


J-  My lyrics vary from song to song, but are mostly influenced by the human race and religion and how both suck haha.


“Post-Incubation Period”


Feasting on the limbs of the deceased body
Masticating on the fibers of the vital organs
I’ll devour the child inside the abdomen
Repugnant and decrepit
The mutilated remains lie in wait of further consumption
Vile surgery, invoke the darkest perversions of man
Incisions of wretched putrescence
Defiled in mind and body
Extirpation and ingestion of the viscera
Womb eviscerated
Blood congealing as the cavity is emptied
Incisions of wretched putrescence

CR-  Can you tell us any future Autonomy plans? 


J-  I’m making the transition to making Autonomy a fully functioning band as most people already know.  Definitely want to hit the stage in the New England area by next Summer, and even expand to other parts of the U.S.  I also have a full length album set for release in August 2012 through Ossuary Industries that I will start writing for later this year.  Just planning to take a short break for a month after the split CD to give my gears a rest and let the split and other releases spread around, and just do some promotion.


CR-  Thanks a lot man, good luck with everything!


J-  Thanks for the interview man keep it sick! \m/


SUPPORT OSSUARY INDUSTRIES

No comments:

Post a Comment